Thinking of a Career
in Real Estate?
Is Real Estate Right for You?
A career in real estate can be very rewarding, offering flexibility, freedom and the opportunity to build a secure future for yourself and also help shape the future of the clients you serve. Successful people in real estate are goal-oriented, persevering, self-motivated, ambitious and people-oriented. So, is a career in real estate right for you?
The National Association of Realtors® has developed an online interactive tool designed to help you decide if a real estate career is right for you, and which path in real estate might be the best fit. We encourage you to use this tool as you consider a career real estate.
If you’re ready to get started with a new career in real estate, here are the steps you need to take.
1. Complete the Pre-Licensing Course
- Complete the 90-hours of pre-licensing education needed to prepare for the real estate exam. Once you successfully complete the class and pass the exam, you can become a licensed real estate agent.
2. Find a Brokerage
- Once you receive your real estate license, you will need to choose a brokerage to work with. You must work under a broker before you can start selling real estate. Learn more about how to choose the right brokerage here.
3. Become a Member of the Realtor® Association
- After you have selected a brokerage, become a member of Hilton Head Area Realtors®. Your membership gives you automatic membership in South Carolina Realtors® and in the National Association of Realtors®. Your Realtor® membership will give you access to the continuing education and professional development opportunities you need to succeed, in addition to networking, cost-saving benefits, and the support you need to build a successful career in real estate.